Thursday, April 14, 2011

Wednesday March 30th, 2011



Good day, world. Today, it’s my birthday. Before I get started on this journal, I would like to say thank you to everyone who sent me an email! I really do appreciate it. If you didn’t send me an email, or forgot it was my birthday, I know who you are…

This morning, much like every weekday morning that I’ve been in China, begins with class. The other 5th year teacher, the partner of the new director, has been throwing her weight around in class. She has really stepped up her condescension and criticism of students in class. Whew. Luckily class didn’t last too long, and my debate class and one-on-one teachers for the last two days have been a lot more chill in class.

In celebration for my birthday, I went over to Mala Tang and made myself some soup. The mixture of spinach, baby bok choy, lotus slices, ham, chicken eggs, mushrooms, and noodles was just what I needed after a morning of daydreaming in class.

From there, I headed back to the room to apply to some more internships. So far, internships are a no-go on this end. I would imagine that some of the difficulty that I am having in finding an internship (and I am not alone in this difficulty) has to do with the economy. It would appear that firms are less likely and less willing to hire interns and short-term employees.

I cast aside my doubts of getting an internship and the politics of ACC while I worked out at Bally. It was a good workout, even more so with my rocking new kicks.

After that, I rode back to the dorm and tried to get caught up on some journals. As of current, I am a little overwhelmed by the amount of writing that I need to do. I think I am around a week behind in journals, and that doesn’t count the ones from the last few days that I’ve not even outlined yet. Isn’t this rather strange, writing journals about writing journals? I’ll try to refrain from such irrational behavior in the future.

I sauntered down the hall and stuck my head in Wes’ room. Would he like to get some food? Most certainly; he was quite hungry. We walked down to the West Gate, and determined that we should stop by Xiang Yi Fang for some family style dining. We were both in the mood for spicy food; our meal consisted of numbing and spicy fried squid and chicken; egg over potatoes and rice noodles; and rice. We were both feeling a little weak in the stomach department after the meal, but it was too good to look back in regret now.

I came back to the dorm and wrote. Wes and I decided to watch a movie, and I had nothing preventing such a course of action. My class work was already done. Our dismal choice of movie was entitled Serenity, a sci-fi movie about space. It was as if someone had taken the best parts of Star Trek, Star Wars, zombie movies, and Bladerunner in one film, and done the whole thing horribly. It had so much potential…

Then, it was time for bed.

I’ll write soon!

Jamey

No comments:

Post a Comment